Lab-grown and mined diamonds are both 100% pure diamonds. Their only distinction is that they come from different origins.
This article will expound comprehensively on the details of lab-grown and mined diamonds and their differences where necessary.
As their name implies, lab-grown diamonds are essentially cultured in a laboratory where certain essential conditions, including intense heat and pressure, are established. These extreme setups are crucial prerequisites for producing lab diamonds or for the formation of diamonds generally.
Like mined diamonds, lab-grown diamonds can exist in various shapes and sizes, including brilliant round cuts, marquise cuts, and even pear cuts. Almost all diamond shapes can be grown in the laboratory.
Before lab-grown diamonds came into existence, the only available diamonds were the ones mined from the earth’s core.
Mined Diamonds are naturally-occurring gems that pass through extreme heat and pressure deep within the layers of the earth’s crust. These diamonds are usually mined after a volcanic eruption and other recurring movements beneath the earth’s crust.
There are also other forms of naturally-occurring diamonds, such as the naturally occurring allotropes of Carbon and graphite.
When this happens, the diamonds formed usually emerge close enough to the earth’s surface, where they can be explored easily.
There are no distinct differences between lab-grown and naturally-occurring mined diamonds because both variants are created from the same core substance, Carbon.
Both diamond variants have the 4Cs and exhibit the same characteristics, including their chemical and physical properties.
Perhaps the most significant difference between these two gems is that one is grown in a cultured laboratory, and the other is mined directly from the earth’s crust. Nevertheless, customers usually attach many sentiments to this fact. Hence, the market usually sets the cost of mined diamonds slightly higher than that of lab-grown diamonds since they are more coveted.
Depending on your budget and the price difference, we allow our customers to upgrade or downgrade their jewellery pieces. You may downgrade your piece to something sleeker and more comfortable.
You can also upgrade to a bigger piece. For instance, some couples like to upgrade their old diamond wedding rings to something bigger and more prominent.
Pros of Lab-Grown vs Mined Diamonds
- Lab-grown diamonds have the same 4Cs as mined diamonds.
- Lab-grown diamonds come with a certificate, just like mined diamonds.
- Lab-grown diamonds are more environmentally friendly than mined diamonds.
- Lab-grown diamonds are more ethical.
- Lab-grown diamonds offer better clarity and fewer inclusions since they are expertly cultured in a laboratory.
- Lab-grown diamonds are usually less expensive than mined diamonds.
Cons of Lab-Grown Diamonds
- Since they are not as coveted as mined diamonds, they do not have a high re-sell value like their mined counterparts.
- Many customers like the feeling of having something formed directly from the earth’s core. However, lab-grown diamonds can’t offer this since they are typically cultured in a lab. As a result, they may not provide the same appeal to this set of shoppers.
Because both lab-grown and naturally occurring mined diamonds are made from the same primary material, Carbon, there are no noticeable distinctions. Their main contrast is that one is created in a cultured laboratory, and the other is mined straight from the earth’s crust.
Hopefully, this post will settle any outstanding disputes between lab-made and mined diamonds.
If you enjoyed this read, kindly comment below and let us know your thoughts.